"All You Need is Love, Love is All You Need"
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
Who wants to be vulnerable? Each relationship is a risk. Friends, animals, strangers, boyfriends, girlfriends... They may not love you in return, they may die or run away, leaving your heart broken. How many times has your heart been broken? Mine has been broken many times but I am still alive and have learned something from each experience, growing stronger. Somehow there is still joy. To be vulnerable, to wait, to trust. To keep loving no matter what happens. God does... Love is beautiful.
http://www.threadless.com/product/3106/Home_Is_Where_The_Heart_Is_Jules_Farrell
True dat
ReplyDeleteGreat quote, great post.
ReplyDeleteWhen my heart was shattered, I wrapped myself in my ministry. To the outsider, everything looked fine, because they assumed my preoccupation was noble. In reality, I couldn't even give the kids I worked with my heart. I strayed from any activity or conversation that could leave it vulnerable for pain.
And this is how much of the world operates. I had to fight back for my heart these past five years, which is much tougher than if I had lived according to the recklessness God had laid on my heart originally. God had to chisel away at stone and flesh to reclaim the truest treasure of His creation.
Within my intention to love carries the inevitable possibility for rejection, and this can be a paralyzing thought. But to display the glory of my Creator by living as light, it is required. It is the warmth and truth that reclaims and reconciles other wounded hearts for God.
I wrote a poem during those dark years about building up enough "scar tissue" so that my heart could no longer feel pain. But God does not want us hardened to make our hearts impervious; He desires to heal and have us bear the glorious testimony of a God that has not forsaken us in our pain. In the end, our beautiful hearts honor Him and His Word, whether through pain or joy, when we offer our deepest longings and love for the world to see.
Man, vulnerability is so hard...and dangerous. But, well worth it in the end. Mr. Lewis always has a way of putting things that hit home hard.
ReplyDelete