Friday, September 2, 2011

Family

Warning... since this was written at about 0000 it may be somewhat rambly. Now, I have sufficiently warned you and may now continue.

After a terrible day of work... a day where you just have to throw up your hands, laugh at the pure insanity of the situation and pray that no one sues you, I made my way home to family. Work can be very grating on ones self esteem. The minute you think you have the hang of something, someone knocks you back down and this failure gets added to the memories which help to remind you to not make that mistake again.  Thankfully, family is always there to pick you up as soon as you fall down.

My family has been so busy recently with life that very rarely do we all get to be together but tonight was one of the glorious nights where we got to just chill together (plus mom's bf Kenny). We all helped make fajitas and then gathered on the couches in the living room, including the cat, to partake in our tasty handiwork. After the meal was finished we gathered around the piano for some hymns. Have you ever really read the words of hymns? Truly inspired. It was a beautiful reminder of old times, singing round the piano and playing hymnbook roulette (I had to play whatever song was opened to and the family had to sing it). After the singing finished, we moved back to the couch where mom began reading the Bible which invoked discussion until late.

What a beautiful thing God has created in family. The older I get the more my family means to me. Little things like painting my mom's toes or talking until the wee hours of the morning. My brother calling me a hippy after seeing me sitting on my bedroom floor painting or laughing together at 1950's Folgers commercials. Driving to see my dad, grandparents and aunt out in the middle of nowhere and reveling in the natural beauty of my childhood stomping grounds. I want these memories to last a lifetime. Each memory chiseled into my brain. I love my friends dearly but family... sigh, they are my world. I am scared of the future without them being at my side 24/7, but each one of us are coming to a crossroads. I know that it's almost time to take hold of my independence and run with it. To travel the world, step into the unknown. It's terrifying. I can't stand to leave home without them yet to stay where I am is out of the question. As freedom begins to pound on the door so does the realization that I am just a water droplet in the billions of people on this planet. Disappearing into the masses would be simple, easily forgotten by all but... family. Reality, most friendships fade in and out, twisting through time as each life changes, but family stays. In fact, they really can't get rid of you and are pretty much stuck with all of your idiosyncrasies. Yet they love you. Sigh... I love my family.

I guess this is just a realization that is sinking in and writing helps me release thoughts that are only just forming.

1 comment:

  1. Family is beautiful. Sometimes I forget how blessed I am, but I couldn't ever think of asking for a better family. God is good, and one of the big ways I see it is in my family. Thanks for posting this. It's a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete