So, night shift is once again my lot in life. Most of the time it is lovely as Shaun is around making the night less lonely. Tonight however, I am alone... here with my thoughts and a little self pity. If you have never worked night shift I am here to paint you a picture of what you are missing out on when one is alone at night.
The day starts out, at 4pm, with cheery bright sunshine shining in the windows and you immediately get busy making phone calls & running errands because in about 3-4 hours you will once again be back into a state of darkness. You set out breakfast for your husband, make him lunch for work and then head off to Crossfit for the 5:30pm class still rubbing sleep from your eyes.
After a grueling workout at Crossfit, hydration is top priority and is first upon coming back to the lonely, dark, cold and husbandless house. After hydration, you move to cleaning the house, organizing and cooking lunch at midnight. Except, if you are me, there is no cooking involved just searching the fridge for leftovers. Usually, because I haven't cooked, there are no leftovers and so I try to eat random veggies & fruits. If Shaun is home however we make a meal together and life is much more pleasant.
A couple hours later, the house work is done, the belly is full, exercise routine is completed and what is there to do? Watch TV of course!!! Can I say that watching TV is super unsatisfying when done in 2-4 hours increments... Bored... I usually pull out an art project to do while watching TV to stave off the boredom while Shaun is gone. Currently I am braiding a rug which is also something that gets extremely boring in 2-3 hours spurts. Then around 4-5am you text your husband good night and climb into a lonely king sized bed to sleep there until your husband gets home at 8am. Most likely you will open your eyes for a quick smooch and fall back to sleep getting ready to start the process over again at 4pm.
So this is the late night rant of a currently depressed night shifter... To all of you who live a normal life during the day enjoy the sun for me tomorrow! I am jealous of your normal life.
Love to all,
The Night Shifter
No comments:
Post a Comment