The definition of absolute truth is as follows... an unalterable and permanent fact. Most religions know that they have the truth so, is that their absolute truth? Is there a truth that trumps all? Post modern culture doesn't believe in it. It is pretty much whatever you decide to believe, that is then your truth. I know where I stand but want to hear other peoples opinions. So, do you believe in absolute truth?
I believe in absolute truth, however do we know it? Even Uriah Smith made errors in some of his publications. So to say you have the absolute truth is to say that you know everything about the fact. However, we don't know everything. There are absolute truths out there that we can know, e.g. Jesus loves us. There are details we still cannot know, and maybe some God does not wish us to know. Food for thought. nom nom nom
ReplyDeleteI think God himself is the only absolute truth. I think that's what he meant when he said "You will know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." Because to meet God, to really begin to know him from whatever worldview and culture and life you come from, is to begin to be free. And it's beautiful and exciting, and so we want to share it. And we give it the label "truth" because it is the truest thing in our lives.
ReplyDeleteBut I think we get into trouble when we claim to understand him enough to definitively say, "This is how I see God, and it is right and just, and you see him differently, and so you are wrong." Which is why there are so many bitter arguments about what denomination has the "truth". And it's heartbreaking, because I think we're all missing the point.
This is a long conversation, one I've been having with my boyfriend (!!!) a lot, but something he loaned me to read helped this make absolutely more sense than before. You might have heard of it--Blue Like Jazz, by Don Miller? Excellent. Probably the best book I've ever read, and I've read...since I was four.
The gist of it is, my point in being on earth is to wholeheartedly love and approve of people. Not to tell them my version of truth. And I don't mean, Alex, that there isn't right and wrong. I strongly do. There are moral boundries that are common to everyone, but truth and morals are completely different animals. I just hate hearing someone declare that their special, bible sanctioned diet is "the truth" and therefore, everyone else is either living in sin or refusing to be led by the spirit.
I hope that makes sense. Short question, and there isn't really an answer.
Also, if God is truth, then truth is not a stagnant thing. Just like perfection is not a place that can be reached. I can't define truth because I can't define God.
Anyway. :D You did ask.
I would argue that God's primary purpose for creation is that His glory would be revealed: that all would know that He and He alone is God. (Ephesians 3:7-13) Often this means loving through approval, but sometimes this means loving through a word of rebuke. Point being: we are not the point.
ReplyDeleteThe postmodern culture removes itself from absolute statements because it considers the building of community an even greater value. But one cannot value community first without compromise; inevitably, given the decision to uphold spiritual truth or maintain the community (a decision that will always arise among fallible beings), the postmodern culture will choose the community.
However, if we truly see the book of Acts as the ultimate model of community and love, we must acknowledge that community was never the goal. True community has always been a result and not the cause of a move of God. The early church believers were in one accord (Acts 2:43-47) because the Holy Spirit had fallen upon them, as Christ had promised; prior to His arrival, there was no community:
"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you." (John 16:5-16, emphasis added)
If the truth cannot be known, then Jesus was a liar. I understand the scariness of trusting in other people's discernment, as there are no shortage of those that would offer "a word from the Spirit" to justify their own agenda. And this is why a fully functioning body is crucial: to test, discern, and affirm or rebuke accordingly (Phil. 1:9-11; 2 Tim. 2:15).
But even though some would abuse or manipulate His word, we have not been given the right to disregard His Spirit as a legitimate source of truth, when Christ departed in the flesh specifically so that we could attain that truth.
Thanks so much for ya'lls comments. I really loved reading them and many echoed my own thoughts on the subject. @Alyssa I think that what you said really summed it up. "I can't define truth because I can't define God." I love that. @a.w. marks - what you said about postmodern culture is so true. I was listening to a sermon today by Dwight Nelson (probably you haven't heard of him) and it was totally confirming what you said. @mason - I hadn't really thought about the fact that there are some things that God might not wish for us to know. It definitely makes me think. Thanks again guys
ReplyDelete