Thursday, January 27, 2011

Birth

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when hearing the word birth? Do you envision a women in pangs of labor or the infant? Spiritual or literal? I pray that the mystery and beauty of birth, both spiritual and literal, will never be lost in the charting, work politics or busyness. It is such an incredible privilege to help bring life into the world. A new life filled with such potential for good or evil.

This morning completed my third night shift in a row. Never before has there been a more humbling experience than starting a job right out of college where people depend on you to take care of them and their little one inside. You think that you are semi knowledgeable but that immediately gets blown out the window into oblivion. I feel like there's this little kid inside of me trying to make everyone believe that I'm "grown up." I am grown up but this reality hasn't hit me yet. Please hit me slowly reality...

Through the overwhelming swamp of charting, contraction and fetal monitoring, medications, etc I trudge, but regardless of the dark metaphor there were unforgettably beautiful moments over the last three nights. I think that my labor and delivery experience in just three days would make an excellent start to a book on the crazy happenings of birth. Of course all within HIPAA rules and regulations.


P.S. I have to learn spanish.

1 comment:

  1. i want to hear your stories!!! and oh that hipaa, how i'm familiar with that!

    ReplyDelete